Lattice Degeneration – Symptoms, Causes, and Proven Natural Treatments (Acupuncture, TCM and Herbs)
Lattice degeneration is a form of retinal damage. The retina is a tissue on the back of the eye that is crucial for clear vision. Lattice degeneration of the retina is characterized by straight or oval patches of thinned tissue that is sometimes accompanied by pigment clumps, usually in both eyes. It is often present in both eyes and can increase the risk of a more serious condition – retinal detachment. If not treated, retinal detachment can lead to permanent vision loss.
Lattice retinal degeneration is very common and occurs in about 6-8% of healthy individuals of both sexes. The prevalence of lattice degeneration is at the peak level by the second decade of life. The exact development of retinal thinning is not completely understood, but some research says it is linked to problems in blood flow to the eyes. Also, some risk factors are associated with it, like myopia, Wagner, Marfan, and Stickler syndrome.
We will proudly present the individualized, natural treatments of eye thinning in this post. It involves several Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) modalities, including acupuncture, Chinese herbs, supplements, and nutritional counseling.
Lattice Degeneration Natural Cure: Visit Makari Wellness
With our holistic approach, the Makari Wellness eye clinic offers the best natural treatment of lattice degeneration. Try our acupuncture sessions together with Chinese herbal therapy and supplements to feel better and gain freedom from illness.
Booking an appointment at our San Diego and Oceanside locations will ensure a high-quality whole-body approach to degenerative eye conditions and incredible results, as 85% of our patients experienced some vision improvement. Do not wait too long; contact us today.
We also offer individualized telemedicine consultations from the convenience of your home. Although acupuncture treatments cannot be performed remotely, Mike Woodworth will make dietary recommendations, Chinese herbal recommendations, eye exercise advice, and advice about meditation.
What is Lattice Degeneration?
As noted above, lattice degeneration is a thinning of the retina that happens over time. It may develop breaks, tears, or holes that may further lead to retinal detachment.
Lattice degeneration with atrophic holes or tractional tears may cause retinal detachment as one-third of all retinal detachments are associated with lattice degeneration. Fortunately, the prognosis of the conditions is usually good. Although its presence increases the risk of retinal detachment, most patients will never experience complications of this severe disease.
Lattice Degeneration Symptoms
Lattice degeneration itself does not cause any symptoms. Symptoms may occur if a person develops retinal detachment, and these include:
- The development of new floaters
- Flashing lights
- Peripheral vision problems
- Blurry vision
- A shadow (like a gray curtain) that blocks a part of your vision
Lattice Degeneration Causes
What causes lattice degeneration? The exact cause is not completely understood, but it is believed that the condition is connected to inadequate blood flow to the eyes. It is usually more likely to occur in people with myopia or genetic diseases like Stickler, Ehlers-Danlos, and Marfan syndrome.
Lattice Degeneration Diagnosis
Usually, lattice degeneration is diagnosed during a routine eye exam. Your ophthalmologist will put drops in your eyes to widen the pupils. This will help your health provider to see into your eyes more easily. Clinically, it is characterized by one lesion or clusters of many that are often located along the retina’s outer border.
Also, the doctor may perform scleral indentation, which is a procedure of inserting a small amount of pressure around the eyes to examine your retina.
Lattice Degeneration Treatment
Most patients with lattice degeneration do not require treatment. The likelihood of occurrence of retinal detachment is in the range of 1% to 2% for lattice degeneration patients. In some rare cases, depending on the severity of the condition and the presence of retinal tear, a doctor may perform cryotherapy or laser therapy to strengthen the weakened part of your retina or to seal the retinal holes associated with the condition.
If you develop retinal detachment, your ophthalmologist will use a laser or other types of surgery to seal the tear and put your retina back into place.
Lattice Degeneration Natural Treatment
However, there are some alternative options to consider. Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) offers a powerful combination of ancient wisdom and modern methods for treating lattice degeneration. TCM is based on the idea that a life force called Qi flows along energy pathways in the body called meridians.
If the flow of Qi is not blocked, the body is healthy. However, when the Qi is not in harmony, an illness happens. TCM’s main aim is to restore the balance of Qi and Yin and Yang – two complementary opposites that describe the qualities of Qi. Natural treatment for Lattice degeneration includes several different modalities: acupuncture, Chinese herbal therapy, supplements, and nutrition.
Acupuncture for Lattice in Eyes
Acupuncture, as one of the most widely used TCM practices, is a technique in which a practitioner stimulates specific points on the body by inserting fine, sterile needles through the skin. By doing this, an acupuncturist manipulates the flow of Qi and thus restoring balance.
It also triggers spontaneous healing reactions in the body, boosting overall visual acuity, reducing sensitivity to light, reducing or eliminating eye floaters, and reducing blurred vision. Some of the most common acupuncture points used in treating lattice degeneration include:
- ST 1 or Chengqi lies directly below the pupil on the infraorbital ridge bone and represents the main acupoint for most eye diseases.
- UB 1 or Jingming – is located where the inner corner of the eye meets the nose. It is the best acupoint for all eye problems.
- GB 1 or Tongziliao – lies in the cavities on the outside corners of the eye sockets.
- UB 2 or Zanzhu – is located in the depression at the inner ends of the eyebrows.
Chinese Herbs for Retinal Thinning
Your certified Chinese herbalist will create a unique blend of herbs to address your condition when it comes to lattice degeneration herbs. They can be consumed as pills, dried or fresh herbs, tablets, tinctures, teas, extracts, capsules, or powders. It is important to know that the natural method is not a quick fix – it requires perseverance and patience. You should take natural remedies for vision loss seriously.
The most common herbs that are used to address lattice degeneration and retinal detachment symptoms are:
- Gingko Biloba – full of powerful antioxidants that protect nerve cells and improve blood flow to the retina.
- Eyebright – fights any inflammation.
- Bilberries – containing anthocyanoside, a substance that improves eyesight.
- Turmeric – its main ingredient, curcumin, prevents oxidation in the eye’s lens.
- Goji Berry – corrects blurred vision and prevents vision loss.
The most important lattice degeneration vitamins are:
- Vitamin A – helps the eye surface be protected from viruses and bacteria. Apples, carrots, red peppers, mangos, ricotta cheese, sweet potatoes, spinach, cantaloupe, etc., are rich in vitamin A.
- Vitamin C – helps keep eye blood flow constant and is responsible for the healthy transportation of nutrients to the eyes. It can be found in grapefruit, kiwi, broccoli, oranges, strawberries, red peppers, Brussel sprouts, etc.
- Vitamin E – powerful cell protector. Sunflower seeds, peanut butter, almonds, broccoli, wheat germs are full of vitamin E.
- B Vitamins – needed for all coenzyme reactions. These vitamins can be found in dark green vegetables, tuna, mackerel, eggs, milk, citrus fruits, oysters, clams, red meat, etc.
Powerful antioxidants, Lutein and Zeaxanthin, protect cells from free radicals. They are found in broccoli, Brussels sprouts, corn, eggs, collard greens, nectarines, papayas, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. Essential trace mineral Zinc is considered a carrier mineral as it helps bring vitamin A from the liver to the retina and creates protective pigment melanin. It can be found in chickpeas, red meat, oysters, yogurt, pork chops, etc.
Omega-3 fatty acids are found in halibut, tuna, sardines, walnuts, flaxseeds, etc.
Lattice Degeneration Prevention
Unfortunately, there is nothing conventional medicine can do to prevent lattice degeneration from occurring. The only thing patients can do is regularly monitor the condition and quickly react to any sign of retinal detachment with a simple laser treatment that can be performed in the optometrist office.
Although laser treatment is generally not very useful in asymptomatic patients, you can consider some of the alternative and natural approaches we offer at Makari Wellness. They focus on retinal health and increase the blood flow to the retina, thus bringing oxygen to the retina and preventing the risk of retinal detachment.
Learn More About Different Eye Conditions and Alternative Treatments
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RETINAL DETACHMENT PREVENTION TREATMENTS
- ACUPUNCTURE – A POWERFUL COMBINATION OF ANCIENT WISDOM AND MODERN METHODS
- ALL ABOUT RETINITIS PIGMENTOSA TREATMENT, DEFINITION AND SYMPTOMS
- MACULAR DYSTROPHY: CAUSE, SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT
- CHINESE HERBAL THERAPY
- MACULAR DEGENERATION: DEFINITION, SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENTS
- EXPERT’S GUIDE THROUGH GLAUCOMA SYMPTOMS, TREATMENTS, AND PREVENTION
- NATURAL TREATMENTS FOR RETINAL OCCLUSION:
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT A BLOOD CLOT IN THE EYE